DARLINGTON, SOUTH CAROLINA (Feb. 5, 2016) – On Thursday evening (Feb. 4), Darlington Raceway was named the recipient of the 2016 ‘Community Pride’ Award at the annual Greater Darlington Chamber of Commerce Awards Banquet, held at the Darlington Country Club.
The award was given to the track by local business leaders for its tremendous involvement and impact in the greater Darlington community.
It’s an award that Darlington Raceway President Chip Wile and his staff took to heart during the ceremonies.
“We’ve been very fortunate to be recognized by the NASCAR industry leaders for our Bojangles’ Southern 500 race weekend, but this Community Pride award means even more because it came from our local community,” Wile said. “We are truly honored to receive this award because we do take great pride in being a strong community partner. Darlington Raceway is a facility our local communities enjoy and are proud of. We are proud to say we are located in Darlington, South Carolina.”
Since 2013, Darlington Raceway has increased its community events exponentially. The track annually hosts the following events for the community:
- Turn 3 Theater Movie Nights Presented by Raceway Ford & Chevrolet featuring family-fun movies such as Cars and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. Movie nights occur in the spring.
- Speed & Feed BBQ Cook-Off and Car Show Presented by Sam Carbis Solutions Group. Held on the second weekend in November each year. The event features over 40 of the region’s top cook teams competing for a $2,500 cash prize. Over 400 classic cars are on display for enthusiasts.
- In the spring, the track hosts a one-day running event, featuring a half marathon, 5K and 1.366-mile fun run.
- Darlington Raceway partners with the Greater Darlington Chamber of Commerce to host Freedom Fest. Freedom Fest is a July 4 community festival and fireworks show. Over 15,000 people attend the event annually.
- Country concert supporting the Darlington County Education Foundation (DCEF). Held in May of 2015.
- Touch-A-Truck event held in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series garage with proceeds benefiting the Junior League of Florence.
- The track has hosted a Walk with the Docs event, which raises funds for the free medical clinic in Darlington County.
Additionally, the track has made contributions to support local area charitable organizations, including The Lord Cares and Harvest Hope Food Banks, the YMCA of Darlington and the Darlington County School District.
“Being a good community partner is critical to the success of our racetrack,” Wile said. “We will not rest on our laurels. We’ll continue to make Darlington Raceway a destination for our local residents and in turn raise monies that support local endeavors important to the people of Darlington County.”
The Tradition Continues on Labor Day weekend as the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Bojangles’ Southern 500® is set for Sunday, Sept. 4, 2016. The NASCAR XFINITY Series VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero 200 will race on Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016.
You can keep up with all of the latest news from Darlington Raceway at DarlingtonRaceway.com, on Facebook at Facebook.com/DarlingtonRaceway and on Twitter atTwitter.com/TooToughToTame. Fans are encouraged to post their Bojangles’ Southern 500 stories and memories at #TraditionContinues, #BojanglesSo500 and #SportClips200.
Darlington Raceway is the proud recipient of the 2015 NMPA Myers Brothers Award. The award recognizes individuals and/or groups who have provided outstanding contributions to the sport of stock car racing.